Looking for a class that will deliver cardio, strength and flexibility training, all within 55 minutes?
Look no further, CardiYo360 , a comprehensive movement class running Wednesday nights at 6:30pm in Ponsonby has you covered. Inspired by yoga postures and breathwork, CardiYo360 combines modern fitness with old school concepts of body-weight training to help build endurance, strength plus flexibility. Utilising jumps and press-ups to get the heart rate up, CardiYo360 helps build anaerobic fitness within the framework of movement and postures inspired by Sun Salutations A and B. CardiYo360 integrates yoga breath patterns to bring rhythm into your movement, encouraging a sense of calm and control throughout the training. Whilst inspired by yoga principles, CardiYo360 encompasses key modifications and unique features allowing practitioners to move within a rapid pace whilst ensuring safety.
CardiYo360 takes a threefold approach towards training. The cardio segment is followed by core training, after which practitioners work through flexibility postures at a slower pace. The core training sequence, inspired by Ashtanga ideals of upper body control, is very much focused around activation of deeper, larger muscle groups of the upper back as well as lower abdominals in conjunction with pelvic floor to help develop dynamic power and strength. After core training, we work on flexibility postures focusing primarily on hips, hip flexors and lower body. The majority of postures in this segment are performed at a slow pace and on the floor.
Hallmarks of CardiYo360:
- a 5 minutes warm up phase
- cardio segment lasting 20 minutes
- 15 minutes of core training
- 15 minutes of flexibility training
- integration of yoga breath patterns
- exclusion of headstands or advanced inversions
- exclusion of advanced backbends
- flexibility segment focusing on hips and lower body
- cardio, strength and flexibility training inspired by yoga breath patterns and postures all within a 55 minute class
Whilst inspired by yoga postures and breathwork, CardiYo360 is NOT yoga. If you are looking for more classical yoga training, I offer that on Friday and Sunday mornings. Yoga experience whilst beneficial is not a requirement. It however requires a base level of fitness and strength conditioning. Requisites:
- ability to hold a plank for 30 seconds
- ability to execute half a dozen of push-ups with good form
Given the cardio requirements, it suits someone who is already physically active and participates in sports either socially once or twice a week or at a higher grade. As such it is an ideal class for individuals:
- already active and looking for that weekly “maintenance” session that combines functional core and flexibility training all at once
- who engage in some regular strength training regiment such as weight lifting or yoga but missing a cardio component in their weekly routine
- who dislike running on a treadmill or running generally, swimming and would rather get their cardio training indoors delivered through short bursts
- who run, swim and play sports but would like a change-up in rhythm and wish to benefit from more anaerobic style interval training to help complement current fitness levels whilst benefiting from yoga flexibility training
How CardiYo360 came to be
Other than yoga I have always been a great fan of tennis, playing up to 3-4 times a week socially and at an inter club level. However, at some point in my life yoga became a 7 day a week discipline. The frequency of injuries sustained on the tennis court also resulted in the cutback of my tennis activities. One time after many months of not having played tennis, with yoga having been the main source of my fitness training, I returned to the tennis court for a social game. Whilst my strength and flexibility had improved considerably resulting in greater power and control in the serve as well as forehand and backhand, I was seriously puffed out on the longer rallies and could not keep up at all. It was then that I realised that even with a more physically intense Ashtanga practice my cardio fitness had been severely compromised. It was then that I became obsessed with the idea of a fitness training that would encompass the many benefits of yoga strengthening and flexibility, yet offer a cardio component of anaerobic training inspired by Sun Salutation sequences. 18 months later, CardiYo360 has been brought to life.
CardiYo360 is an entirely unique and patented modern workout created by me inspired by my love of yoga and desire to share the benefits of yoga with those individuals who may not normally think of coming to a yoga class. It is equally inspired by my own awareness of the deficiencies of a fitness routine that is based entirely only on yoga and to bring a different light to cardio training through the borrowed elements and benefits of yogic breath patterns and postures. For enquiries on making CardiYo360 available at your studio or gym please contact Ewa Bigio at 021-833966 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
CardiYo360 is taught at Bodyneed Studio, 17 Maidstone St, Ponsonby on Wednesdays at 6:30pm however to book a space text to 021-833966